Wednesday, September 23, 2009

So, I went to make breakfast this morning...pancakes...and discovered that I did not have enough baking powder. LAME-O, right???
Poor Scottie was already all pumped up for pancakes.
Well, I remembered a recipe by an old school friend for something called breakfast cookies.
So, 6 dozen cookies later...


And the ever so yummy ingredients:

Breakfast Cookies (yield: 3 doz. cookies)

2/3 cup sifted whole wheat flour
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup maple sugar, maple flakes, or packed brown sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1 cup grated apples (I don't peel)
2 and 1/3 cups large flake rolled oats
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Whisk flours, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon. In large bowl beat sugar with butter, beat in eggs, then mix in apples. Stir in flour mixture, then oats, fold in raisins, almonds, and cranberries. Place in 1/4 cup balls about 3 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Flatten to about 1/2 an inch. Bake one sheet at a time at 350 degrees for about 17 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

FYI: I have found that 11-12 minutes was the perfect amount of time. I think 17-20 would be too long. I should also mention that I didn't do them in 1/4cup balls, I just did large soup spoon balls.

I have also found that adding some coconut is REALLY yummy, too, if you like coconut. (I added 1/3 cup)

Now, the recipe does not originally call for the whole wheat flour to be sifted, but I have found they are too heavy if it is not sifted...just something I have found. I like them better with the ww flour being sifted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm - they sound and look delicious! i wonder if they could be made into 'nola bars?!?! or would they be too dry and crumbly???

Krystin said...

They're not a dry cookie, they are moist, but they're not sticky, either, so I don't know that they would stick like granola bars do...but tweak it, and ou never know.

Heather said...

wow Ryan would LOVE this. Cookies for breakfast! but then he would love cookies for lunch and dinner too lol. Mmmm cookies.

Morgann said...

LOL, sounds like you are as addicted to them as I am!! They are a must-have for Darren and the girls in the morning!!